“People with clear, written goals, accomplish far more in a shorter period of time than people without them could ever imagine.” -Brian Tracy
As I prepare for my research and journey, I have been reflecting on what I hope to achieve. Given that I will only be in Shanghai for ten short weeks, I want to set myself specific goals in order to make the most of the wonderful opportunity that I have been given.
- To gain a greater knowledge of the issue that I will be researching, I will read “China, Internal Migration” by the end of January and The Geographical Transformation of China by the end of March.
- To develop my Chinese language skills and learn about current events, I will spend 15 minutes a day reading from Chinese news and media sites.
- To prepare for my research project and hit the ground running in Shanghai, I will connect with my research mentor at least 3 more times before May.
- To learn about Shanghai from different perspectives and stay aware and mindful, I will speak with at least 3 locals everyday when I am in China.
- To reflect on the purpose of the work I am doing and record my experiences, I will write down my thoughts twice a week during the summer.